Happy Republic Day
Today we are celebrating the 72nd republic day of India. The first republic day was celebrated on 26 Jan 1950. It is the day India decided to fight for freedom. Here are some facts about republic day.
1. The first Republic Day was celebrated on January 26, 1950, three years after we got independence.
2. 26 January 1930 was first celebrated as India’s Independence Day or Purna Swaraj Diwas. It’s the day India decides to fight for complete freedom.
3. After attaining independence on 15 August 1947, our leaders wanted that 26 January be remembered in the future also, so this day was linked with the day of Swaraj.
4. The first Republic Day parade at Rajpath was held in 1955.
5. A Christian song, Abide With Me, is played at the Republic Day Parade. It is believed to be one of Mahatma Gandhi’s favorite songs. Listen Here
6. The constitution of India is the longest in the world having 26 Parts, 12 Schedules, 448 Articles. Till now it has gone through a total of 101 amendments. We have the Constitution in both the scripts; Hindi and English. The Indian Constitution has a total of 117,369 words in its English language version.
7. Drafting the Constitution was a herculean task. Dr. B.R. Ambedkar took 2 years and 11 months to draft the Indian Constitution.
8. Before the Constitution came into force, India followed the British Government’s “Government of India Act 1935”.
Salient Features of the Government of India Act 1935 were as follows: Abolition of provincial dyarchy and introduction of dyarchy at the center. Abolition of Indian Council and introduction of an advisory body in its place. Provision for an All India Federation with British India territories and princely states.
If you find this information useful then do share it with your friends and family.